- The Award presentations will take place on 17 January 2018 as part of FITUR
The World Tourism Organisation has announced the names of the finalists for the fourteenth edition of the UNWTO Innovation in Tourism Awards. The fourteen finalists were shortlisted from among 128 projects entered from 55 countries. The winners will be announced on 17 January 2018 during the UNWTO Awards Presentation Ceremony which, for the fifth consecutive year, will be held at FITUR, the Madrid International Tourism Trade Fair organised by IFEMA from 17 to 21 January at Feria de Madrid.
The UNWTO Awards pay tribute to innovation in the tourism industry in four categories: 1) Public Policies and Governance, 2) Enterprises, 3) Non-Governmental Organisations and 4) Research and Technology.
The shortlist includes initiatives from Argentina, China, Portugal, Botswana, Kenya, India, Italy, Philippines, Indonesia, Mexico, Australia, Croatia and Spain.
Finalists of the fourteenth edition of the UNWTO Innovation in Tourism Awards:
- UNWTO Award for Innovation in Public Policies and Governance:
- MiBarrio, applied research project for the Mercado de Hacienda, Tourism body of the Ministry of Modernisation, Innovation and Technology of the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Longmen Grottoes, «Internet + Longmen» action plan, Management Committee for the Longmen Grottoes, listed as a World Heritage Site, China.
- Tourism training talent (TTT), Turismo de Portugal, Portugal.
- UNWTO Award for Innovation in Enterprises:
- Conservation of the great plains: conserving and expanding the natural habitats, Great Plains Conservation and Great Plains Conservation Foundation, Botswana and Kenya.
- Conservation and livelihoods: community-managed ecotourism in Mangalajodi, Mangalajodi Ecotourism Trust, India.
- Community and resilience: two towns addressing depopulation, Valle dei Cavalieri, Italy.
- Innovation initiative in three pillars, Balesin Island Club, Philippines.
- UNWTO Award for Innovation in Non-Governmental Organisations:
- Educating and empowering local communities for the sustainable tourism of the future, Sumba Hospitality Foundation, Indonesia.
- Connecting the community, local friends and visitors in a unique and happy experience, Triponyu.com, Indonesia.
- A.CÀ – Migrants and travellers, Responsible Tourism Festival, Associazione YODA, Italy.
- Strengthening community tourism in Sierra Gorda, Sierra Gorda Ecological Group, Mexico.
- UNWTO Award for Innovation in Research and Technology:
- EarthCheck Building Planning and Design Standard (BPDS), EarthCheck, Australia.
- eVisitor – national tourist information system, Croatia National Tourism Office.
- Smart Tourism System (STS), SEGITTUR, Spain.
UNWTO Press officer, Rut Gomez Sobrino
Tel: (+34) 91 567 81 60 / firstname.lastname@example.org
UNWTO Communication and Publications Programme
Tel: (+34) 91 567 8100 / Fax: +34 91 567 8218 / comm@UNWTO.org