- Participants sought innovative solutions to real problems in the tourism industry.
- The #hackaTrips theme was Disruption in Travel
The International Tourism Fair and minube, the website platform and travel app, held the second edition of hackaTrips, the first Hackathon held at a Tourism Fair in Spain. The event took place at the Fair on the weekend of the 20th and 21st of January 2018.
The Hackathon, held in hall 10 at IFEMA, consisted of a work space for collaborative development of technology-based ideas, promoting creativity and innovation to provide new solutions to the actual needs of the industry.
The #hackaTrips theme was Disruption in Travel. Participants, in 19 groups of up to 5 people (61 developers, 13 designers and 15 Tourism or business experts), competed to develop the most innovative product, from 10:00 am on Saturday until 3:00 pm on Sunday. The group members (programmers, designers and tourism industry professionals) worked towards the prize by trying to find disruptive solutions to industry problems. FITUR and minube will thus contribute to the development of the tourism industry.
There were over €18,000 in prizes to the best applications, in addition to prizes based on the use of a specific API. The technological partners were Oracle (main sponsor), BBVA Api Market and HotelsCombined, and Segittur as institutional partner of the event.
The prizes based on the use of a specific API went to:
- €1,000 in HotelsCombined for the group making the best use of its API
- Idea: Hotels+5 – a website that searches for inexpensive rooms for groups, showing groups of hotels that are close to each other and have availability on the same date, and allows bookings for rooms in more than one hotel, by group. It also shows the points of interest close to each one.
- Winners: Patricia Acosta Eznarriaga, Gabriel Fürstenheim, José Luis Pillado López and Lluís Ulzurrun de Asanza Sàez
- €500 at HotelsCombined for the group that creates the most disruptive idea
- Idea: YoPolo! – An app connecting friends’ profiles to get together to travel. Its mission: to make it possible to create spontaneous adventures for groups and resolve the time wasted on decisions.
- Winners: Paloma Canseco Muñoz, Adrián Naranjo, Sergio Redondo Montes, Carlos Rodriguez and Alejandro Rodriguez Sainz
- €2,500 for the group making the best use of the BBVA API
- Idea: Grupa – a website that detects people’s interests based on their tastes through their BBVA accounts, and connects them with other online people with the same interests, who wish to travel to a specific searched destination. This leads to forming a travel group based on common interests and with uniform expenses that will allow for bookings in hotels that are economically suited to everyone.
- Winners: Pablo Cano Hueros, Ricardo Crespo De Los Reyes, Nandana Mihindukulasooriya and Mario Verdú Gambín.
- A set of Beats Solo3 Wireless open headphones valued at €300 for each member of the group that best uses the Oracle API – ” (team4)
- Idea: Open Recommendation Tourist – An algorithm that produces graphs generated by the interests and characteristics of a tourist, the reasons why they travel, the type of destination, etc.
- Winners: Jason Jimenez Cruz, Javier Marrodán and Andrés Chesa Badía.
The winning ideas were:
- 1st prize. €7,000
- Idea: Traveller Soul – An app that lets you enjoy the best experiences of the places you visit. Its vision: to build a human infrastructure placing technology at their service to travel throughout the world, living the best adventures at each destination, without checking in, without luggage, without burdens and placing objects with soul at the service of a committed community.
- Winners: Luis Díaz del Dedo, Jorge García González and Cristian Miguel Pinto Quinto.
- 2nd prize. €4,000
- Idea: Hotels+5
- Winners: Patricia Acosta Eznarriaga, Gabriel Fürstenheim, José Luis Pillado Lopez and Lluís Ulzurrun de Asanza Sàez
- 3rd prize. €2,000
- Idea: Augmented Choices – An app that turns your trip into a personalised game and augments your experiences, using augmented reality and including gamification.
- Winners: Jorge Andrés Martínez Enrique, Otero Muras, Sergio Santamaria Fajardo and Xavi Sorinas Sallés.